Thomas Metcalf School is a K–8 laboratory school for children. It contains Hayden Auditorium.
Thomas Metcalf School was named after Thomas Metcalf, a mathematics teacher at Illinois State from 1862–1894. In 1862, Metcalf succeeded Edwards as Principal. In the fall, he joined Edwards as a teacher of mathematics. In 1874, President Edwards appointed Metcalf as training teacher, a position he held for 20 years.
Hayden Auditorium was named after Annie Wezette Hayden in 1960. She was a first grade teacher at the Metcalf School from 1921–1956. The current location of the school opened in 1955.